Frequently asked questions
We warmly invite you to read our Help
section too. If you still have some doubts about our tool, please write us from our feedback page
- What input files are supported?
- How many samples can be uploaded and analyzed? How many analysis can be run? Are there any time limits?
- Can I upload multiple files? And multiple samples?
- How long does a typical analysis take?
- What is a study? What's the difference with a project?
- Is it possibile to download the results of my analysis?
Analysis1. What input files are supported?
2. How many samples can be uploaded and analyzed? How many analysis can be run? Are there any time limits?
The EXPEDIT tool supports:
- short-read data-sets produced by Illumina sequencing platforms (FASTQ)
- several standard file formats (SRA, BAM)
- compressed archives (zip1, tar, gzip, bz or bz2 compression are admitted)
EXPEDIT automatically detects the type of uploaded file and chooses the necessary program to decompress it.
 Warning: compressed archives obtained with Mac OS X require the windows-compatibility flag
3. Can I upload multiple files? And multiple samples?
An account with User
- create up to 2 studies
- upload up to 12 files
- build up to 2 analyses
- run 1 analysis at a time
Each sample has to be uploaded as a single file: you can upload multiple files if you have multiple samples.4. How long does a typical analysis take?
The general rule is: 1 sample = 1 file, no merge operation will be executed by our system.
The amount of time required by an analysis execution is influenced by different factors, such as:
- The amount of files uploaded
- The sequencing region (genome-wide or targeted)
- The number of jobs waiting for execution on our servers
However, you can find an estimated execution time in your analysis monitoring page.
Archive1. What is a study? What's the difference with a project?
According to the EBI/ENA data format standard, a study contains information about the a single sequencing project (more analysis can be run in a single study). So, in practice, a study contains all the information about a project.
Results1. Is it possibile to download the results of my analysis?
Yes, you have two options:
Data browsing and downloading has been optimized with caching/sessioning.
- Downloading the results directly from the analysis monitoring page.
- From the Results page, after applying any filter, with the
While this ensures better performance in page loading,
as a drawback opening different tabs on different samples may lead to data misconfiguration.
Please ensure to filter and download one sample at the time.
Back to top